2020 Program of Work
Advance and promote the industrial, commercial and civic interests of the City of Searcy, Arkansas, and its vicinity and thereby secure and preserve a high quality of life for its citizenry.
Promote sound economic growth for business, industry and agriculture in the Searcy and White County area. Of equal importance, shall be our efforts to improve the economic well-being and quality of life for our residents. To that end, we will continue to promote Searcy through persistent attention to our values.
1) Market and Promote the Searcy Region
A. Promote Searcy as a great place to live, work and do business
- Produce the annual Community Guide to help promote Searcy to prospective residents and businesses
- Continue to secure the back cover of the state’s Living in Arkansas Guide
B. Develop tourism in our area
- Work with the Greers Ferry Little Red River Association to produce the Searcy Visitors Guide.
- Develop a new website to promote Searcy’s many assets with an overall goal of attracting visitors
- Promote festivals and larger events in White County
- Work with City of Searcy to add wayfinding signage along the new bypass / corridor and Future I-57, directing traffic to Historic downtown Searcy and key points of interest.
- Support the City of Searcy’s efforts to enact an Advertising and Promotion Tax to create an advertising funding stream
2) Foster Economic Growth
A. Provide Economic Development services to the City of Searcy
- Use its best efforts to recruit and attract new employers, business and industry to the Searcy region.
- Prepare, as appropriate, advertising materials and brochures respecting Searcy and its environs.
- Prepare such maps and charts as are appropriate to delineate the areas within the Searcy region which are suitable for economic industrial development.
- Coordinate the extension of all necessary municipal services to new business and industry which may be located in the Searcy region through the efforts of SRCC.
- Promote the development of State and Federal highway systems in and to the Searcy region.
- Promote the growth of existing business and industry in the Searcy region by establishing programs, presentations, and other educational materials or opportunities as may be needed by such business or industry.
- Assist Searcy, as may be requested by Searcy, in formulating Master Street Plans which will facilitate the flow of traffic in and through Searcy in light of the expansion or anticipated expansion of the business and industrial area in Searcy.
- Prepare such studies as SRCC deems appropriate to facilitate the development of the business and industrial facilities in the Searcy region.
- In general, to do and perform such other activities and functions as are necessary and appropriate to the pursuit of the common goal of Searcy and SRCC in attracting and developing business and industry to Searcy, aiding in the creation of new jobs, retaining existing jobs, and improving the economic environment in Searcy.
- Provide quarterly reports to Searcy reflecting activities pursuant hereto during the term hereof.
B. Business Retention & Expansion (BRE)
- Conduct annual visits with existing industries and major employers
- Strengthen and build relationships with local, state and federal elected officials to assist in advocating for the business community.
- Seek new targeted industry businesses by building relationships with site consultants through engaging in partnership organizations, to include attending international and national conferences, corporate headquarter visits and site consultant events. Targeted businesses include: Tourism, Healthcare, Food Processing, Advancing Manufacturing, Distribution and Logistics, Aviation, Firearms & Ammunition and Technical Support.
- Participate in partnership organizations such as Metro Little Rock Regional Alliance and the Arkansas Economic Development Corporation to continue to market and promote available building and sites as well as the community to potential businesses.
- Maintain data for Searcy on the www.arkansassiteselection.com website.
C. Develop Workforce Development and Education initiatives
- Facilitate programs such as Career Fairs that encourage high school students to look at technical careers as a viable career option
- Facilitate collaborative meetings with business, industry and educational personnel to conduct plant tours and onsite visits.
- Investigate utilizing Searcy Foundation Inc, to create education and workforce development opportunities such as website, marketing materials, video, job listing, events & Promo’s.
3) Government Affairs
A. Advocate for our members and the business community
- Adopt 2020 Searcy Regional Chamber of Commerce State and Federal Legislative Agenda
- Coordinate and host events to educate, inform the membership, elected leadership and public on key issues and activities such as the weekly Monday morning Legislative Updates with state Senator and Representatives
- Advocate chamber positions on local, state and federal legislative issues of importance to the Searcy business community
4) Improve the Quality of Place in the Region
A. Support local placemaking efforts
- Promote efforts to revitalize downtown and improve parks system and programs
- Capitalize on the Searcy Small Business Revolution momentum
- Promote the development of “Third Places” within the city
B. Cultivate Leaders through the Leadership Searcy and Ambassador Programs
5) Membership Services
A. Offer ample networking opportunities for members
- Lunch Mob
- Women’s Network
- Business After Hours
B. Develop services to assist and promote member business
- Expand the website to include enhance member listings, job postings, member promotions, members forum, chamber app and member marketplace to help businesses promote themselves. Continue to expand and develop the website to ensure it is a useful tool for members and website visitors.
- Use the chamber’s social media platforms to promote member promotions, job postings, news and noteworthy events.
- Monthly newsletter/ Things to Do Email - Produce content for the monthly chamber e-newsletter featuring articles about members and the community. Continue to improve the weekly Things To Do email to provide promotion for members activities.
C. Develop programs to strengthen and promote member businesses
- Business EXPO
- Chairman’s Memorial Golf Tournament
- Annual Awards Banquet
- Eggs & Issues Breakfast
- Economics Club Luncheon
D. Provide business education services through the Biz Toaster Programs and seminars
- Consultants’ Club
- Searcy Chamber Mentor Program
- Small Biz University
- Arkansas Small Business Technology and Development Center (ASBTDC) seminars and webinars